Raw Food Diet*
- Reduced risk of chronic disease, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Weight Loss
- Better Digestion
- Balanced PH levels, higher alkaline levels, less acidity in the body
- Increased Energy
- Clearer Skin
- Can be dangerous for those who are underweight or have a history of eating disorders, see a physician before switching to a raw food diet
- For those with diabetes or hypoglycemia, this diet can worsen your condition if done improperly (be careful about the number of fruits and fruit juices you consume).
- Vitamin B12, zinc, and omega-3 deficiencies are sometimes found in those who follow a raw food diet. Make sure you eat a variety of foods to make sure you are getting enough of these essential vitamins. Supplementing your raw food diet with a multivitamin can help.
- When starting a raw food diet, you may experience some detox symptoms (especially if you are switching over from a diet high in sugars, meats, and caffeine). These side effects include headaches, nausea, and cravings and may last several days until your body adjusts.
- Some foods are unsafe to eat raw. Here is a list of some foods that should NOT be eaten raw: kidney beans, soy beans, fava beans, certain wild mushrooms, peas, potatoes, rhubarb leaves, taro, cassava, alfalfa sprouts, and parsnips
- Nuts and seeds
- Sprouted grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds
- Raw cheeses
- Sashimi, smoked or cured fish
- Raw chocolate
- Dried fruits
- Coconuts, coconut milk, coconut water
- Super Foods: goji berries, maca, raw bee pollen
- Flax seed oil, coconut oil
- Fermented foods: miso, kimchee, sauerkraut
- “Benefits of Raw Food Diet.” Starting a Raw Food Diet. Web. http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/benefits-of-raw-food-diet.html.
- Hackett, Jolinda. “Raw Food Diet – What Are Raw Foods? What Is the Raw Food Diet? – About Raw Foods and Living Foods – Raw and Living Foods Recipes.” About.com. Web. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianlifestyle/f/rawfoods.htm.
- “Raw Food Diet – Food to Eat and Avoid, Benefits, and More.” Alternative Medicine – Everything You Need to Know About Alternative Medicine. Web. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Raw_Food.htm.
- “Raw Food Diet Review – Foods You Can Eat, Meal Plans, and More.” WebMD – Better Information. Better Health. Web. http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/raw-food-diet.
- Ross, Robert. “Starting a Raw Food Diet.” Raw Food Life – the Science of Raw Food! Web. http://www.rawfoodlife.com/starting_on_raw.html.